Thursday, May 18, 2017

Amazon's Book Reviews: Caribbean Authors - Remembering Derek Walcott

Sir Derek Alton Walcott, KCSL OBE OCC (23 January 1930 – 17 March 2017) was a Saint Lucian poet and playwright. He received the 1992 Nobel Prize in Literature. He was Professor of Poetry at the University of Essex from 2010 to 2013. His works include the Homeric epic poem Omeros (1990), which many critics view "as Walcott's major achievement." In addition to winning the Nobel Prize, Walcott received many literary awards over the course of his career, including an Obie Award in 1971 for his play Dream on Monkey Mountain, a MacArthur Foundation "genius" award, a Royal Society of Literature Award, the Queen's Medal for Poetry, the inaugural OCM Bocas Prize for Caribbean Literature, the 2011 T. S. Eliot Prize for his book of poetry White Egrets and the Griffin Trust For Excellence In Poetry Lifetime Recognition Award in 2015.  Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Walcott

This is a review for White Egrets by Derek Walcott - Derek Walcott is one of the finest poets of the last 50 years. His command of the English language is astonishing (hawks sitting on the wrist of a branch), his images are unforgettable (the heart that returns like the waves splashing against the rocks), his touches are heart-breaking. There are influences of a European culture that has now gone beyond the English culture so dear to Walcott. His waves' image reminds me of Rebora at his best (E giunge l'onda, ma non giunge il mare...). White Egrets is not a book you should devour. It is a book one should read slowly, one poem each night, to savour and to remuginate about. It is the book of an old poet who has made peace with his troubled soul and finally accepts his life for whatever it has been. It reminds me of what one of my teachers used to say, that God gave us memories so the we may have roses in December. Walcott has egrets, white egrets..... Read more: http://www.amazon.com/White-Egrets-Poems-Derek-Walcott/product-reviews/0374532702/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This is a review for Omeros by Derek Walcott - My review title shouldn't be construed as me claiming any knowledge re: Caribbean culture/history, or indeed -any- of the experiences of the disenfranchised peoples this book touches on. All I can say is that the glowing reviews here on Amazon are accurate. Walcott's poetry is supple almost beyond belief: so facile and brilliant that it would stand between the reader and the subject if Walcott himself didn't admit that, yes, he can be awfully facile and brilliant with the English language! The writer walks a dozen dangerous lines - among them, the could-be-precious placing of himself in his own poem - and walks away triumphant from every single challenge.  If you are looking for a linear "story" in the tradition of Homer but transplanted to a Caribbean locale, this isn't it. If however you are looking for great poetry and the understanding of others (and yourself) that great poetry can bring, then it is right here. OMEROS is eminently worth your time. Read more: http://www.amazon.com/Omeros-Derek-Walcott/product-reviews/0374523509/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This is a review for Collected Poems, 1948-1984 by Derek Walcott - I read a poem in O'magazine a few years ago and was in the process of throwing out some magazines for recycling and thought I'd better look through them and see if I should re-read any of the articles. When I got to the poem, titled Love After Love I just stopped. I couldn't believe that I had only breezed through it and put it aside. I tore the page out of the magazine and also made copies. I LOVED THIS POEM!! It did something to me when I read it,.. and I can read it over and over again and get the same feeling. I finally decided to google the author and locate the poem. Amazon.com had tons of info and the book, so I bought it and I never buy anything online. This book has been worth it. Every poem is simply incredible, but my favorite will always be 'Love After Love'. Read more: http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Poems-1948-1984-Derek-Walcott/product-reviews/0374520259/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Nobel Laureate Derek Walcott on his life and work video by tvochannel

No comments:

Post a Comment